In its most basic sense, Pycnogenol® is a medicinal extract that derived from the bark of French maritime pine trees. It is a highly potent anti-inflammatory agent (thanks to its unique blend that contains many antioxidants) that has been shown to alleviate a number of physical issues that are common across the globe.
Not only that, the compound is also known to help in the generation of collagen and hyaluronic acid, two compounds that have been scientifically known to help dilate the blood vessels in our body by increasing the production of Nitric Oxide. As a result of this increased blood circulation, users can receive multiple benefits related such as enhanced cellular regeneration, decreased mental stress, heightened concentration levels, etc.
Let's review the top 5 best Pycnogenol supplements of 2020 who all include french maritime pine bark extract as its active ingredient and then go over a research guide for those looking to include this
Frequently Asked Pycnogenol Questions
Q: What is Pycnogenol?
A: Pycnogenol is an extract from the bark of French maritime pine trees. The extract has impressive anti-inflammatory properties, and it can also help to increase blood flow by dilating the blood vessels and the body's production of nitric oxide. Pycnogenol is both used as a standalone supplement for consumption and as an aiding ingredient in larger proprietary blends.
Q: Can you buy Pycnogenol on Amazon?
A: Yes! A number of retailers on Amazon sell Pycnogenol. Consumers should read on to examine the top Pycnogenol supplements currently on the market. Some supplements are filled with unnecessary additives and chemicals, making the product less natural or even less productive at providing its supposed benefits. Users should exercise caution.
Q: Will Pycnogenol help my blood pressure condition?
A: Some evidence suggests that this supplement can help to dilate the blood vessels and improve blood pressure. However, studies on this specific benefit are relatively few, and results vary heavily based on a number of highly individualized factors. Users should contact their healthcare provider if they experience blood pressure problems; Pycnogenol should not be understood as a standalone treatment for blood pressure.
Q: Do I need a prescription for Pycnogenol?
A: No prescription is required for this product, as it is classified as a supplement under U.S. law. However, users are still highly encouraged to consult their physician before beginning use of this supplement or any new supplement, especially to ensure that the supplement won't interfere with any existing treatment regimens.
Q: How do I take Pycnogenol?
A: This depends heavily on the product being taken. Supplements come in all different potencies and consistencies, and delivery methods can vary from one company and product to the next. Users should research dosage information carefully before taking any supplement.
Top 5 Best Supplements
Though it should not serve as a definitive list or recommendation, these are the top Pycnogenol supplements we found during our research.
Pycnogenol by Health Origins
Pycnogenol by Health Origins has no other ingredients aside from Pycnogenol, offering a concentrated dose of this antioxidant. The formula focuses on four key features of the remedy, including its role as an antioxidant, its ability to bind to collagen and hyaluronic acid, the nourishment for the joints, and support for the circulatory system. This formula can help both men and women, as it helps with muscle performance during workouts and even balances the menstrual cycle.
Users only need one capsule to get the desired benefits each day, since it includes 150 mg per dose. The easiest way to purchase this supplement is on Amazon, where a 120-count bottle is available for $79.61. In fact, consumers on this online marketplace have already given it a 4.5-star rating.
Pycnogenol by Viva Naturals
Pycnogenol by Viva Naturals is used to promote better blood circulation and enhance joint health. One of the key features that is highlighted by the creators is the ability to reduce menstrual discomfort, as they state a success rate of up to 34% in easing pain. The formula also claims to reduce symptoms associated with perimenopause by up to 46%.
However, the developers want consumers to see this remedy as more than just a way to support healthy circulation. In fact, this formula is also meant to help the user deal with colds, supporting the immune system and reducing the effects and longevity of a cold by 26%. If users are willing to keep up a regimen with this Pycnogenol supplement, they can also promote firmer and healthier skin within about 12 weeks, allowing consumers to have a more youthful complexion.
With 100 mg in every capsule, the creators recommend one capsule to be used per day for the desired effects. For a bottle of 60 capsules on Amazon, the total cost is $39.99. However, consumers that want to keep up with their use of this supplement can subscribe for a 5% discount.
Pycnogenol by Life Extension
Pycnogenol by Life Extension advertises their active ingredient as an anti-aging formula, promoting better vascular health. Specifically, the formula supports the defense it needs against five different issues that can cause the body to age earlier than it normally does. With 100 mg of Pycnogenol delivered in every dose, consumers are able to balance blood sugar levels, focus on the healthy functioning of the immune system, and fight oxidative stress.
Along with the supplement, Life Extension offers a lot more, including personalized guidance for consumers from medical doctors and health professionals. Furthermore, the facility that these products are made in is NSP GMP registered, and all purchases are covered by a one-year refund policy.
The formula can be found on Amazon for $47.00, providing users with a 60-capsule bottle of Pycnogenol. Users will only need to take one capsule a day to get the desired effects.
Pycnogenol by Solgar
Pycnogenol by Solgar focuses on the ability of the active ingredient to support the body’s need for antioxidants and to promote healthy leg and vein support. Created without gluten, wheat, or dairy, consumers won’t find anything other than specifically Pycnogenol. As a result, consumers can use this remedy to improve the health of their capillaries as well, using biologically active components like the flavonoids inside.
Unlike some of the other supplements on this list, consumers will need to take the one-capsule dose twice a day, rather than just once. In each dose, the user will be given 100 mg of Pycnogenol, which means that users will end up consuming 200 mg of Pycnogenol every single day.
On Amazon, the Solgar formula is available for $46.34, which provides the user with a 30-capsule bottle of the supplement. The formula offers no gluten, wheat, or dairy, and it is made to accommodate a vegetarian diet. Anyone that wants to commit to this routine can enroll in a subscription on Amazon, providing them with a 5% discount per purchase.
Pycnogenol by NOW
Pycnogenol by NOW has a unique way of addressing their application of this ingredient, highlighting its role as a “free radical scavenger.” Like many others on the list, this ingredient is used as a way to improve vascular health and to support a balanced response from the immune system. However, this is the only formula out of the top 5 Pycnogenol supplements to have ingredients apart from Pycnogenol, which includes Vitamin C (from organic amla extract). The use of Vitamin C is likely meant to improve the health of the immune system and to improve antioxidant support.
When it comes to taking the supplement on a daily basis, consumers will need to take at least one capsule a day, though they can increase the frequency to twice daily. Each dose contains 100 mg of Pycnogenol, so users will potentially receive up to 200 mg daily.
Consumers can purchase the Pycnogenol formula by visiting Amazon, where a 60-capsule bottle is listed for $37.50.
As mentioned earlier, Pycnogenol® is a natural plant extract that contains a unique of procyanidins, bioflavonoids and phenolic acids that offer the human body with a wide array of physical and mental benefits. Additionally, it also bears mentioning that Pycnogenol’s quality has been maintained through the years thanks to the continuous research that has been carried out in relation to the compound since the 1960s by Horphag Research Labs.
From a purely scientific standpoint, the extract has been the subject of more than 150 clinical trials to date. Not only that, the efficacy of the compound has also been reported in a total of 450+ scientific publications — thereby ensuring its overall potency, efficacy, and safety.
As things stand, Pycnogenol® French maritime pine bark extract is being used in more than a thousand dietary supplements as well as cosmetic products. In terms of the benefits being offered by Pycnogenol®, the extract has been linked with a number of physical and mental benefits such as:
- Enhanced Circulatory Health. When taken on a regular basis, the extract has been shown to increase blood circulation in a person’s body — primarily by relaxing their arterial and circulatory system. This not only helps in making the individual’s internal organs more efficient but also makes the person’s skin a more vital and healthy looking. There's even February 2020 study results being reported about Pycnogenol French maritime pine bark extract can act as a male enhancer that strengthens erectile function and even effects type 2 Diabetes.
- Blood Pressure Regulation. Pycnogenol® has been found to help regulate an individual’s blood pressure levels by increasing the Nitric Oxide content in their bodies. Not only that, the compound has also been shown to help people suffering from a number of heart-related issues in a quick and easy manner.
- Improved Skin Health. A highly underrated benefit of Pycnogenol® is its ability to defend one’s skin against a variety of harmful agents such as free radicals, UV rays, stress, etc.
- Regulated Body Health. Studies have shown that the controlled intake of this marine extract can help improve one’s joint mobility as well as overall body flexibility. Not only that, thanks to Pycnogenol®’s anti-inflammatory properties, the extract has also been found to help reduce body pain and soreness in a quick and effective manner.
- Eye Health Optimization. Another potent benefit of Pycnogenol® is that it helps strengthen the retinal capillaries. This not only allows users to enjoy enhanced visual clarity but also allows them to preserve their eyesight well into their old age.
- Promotes Women’s Health. A number of recent studies have indicated that regular intake of Pycnogenol can help alleviate issues related to menstrual cramps. Not only that, the extract is also quite effective in warding off various pain-related symptoms associated with menopause and endometriosis.
- Cognitive Enhancement. Some research trials suggest that Pycnogenol can help in the enhancement of one’s memory levels as well as numerical and spatial recognition abilities. This allows the human brain to function at its peak for long stretches of time.
- Enhanced Respiratory Health. A highly overlooked facet of Pycnogenol is that it can help inhibit pro-inflammatory mediators so as to minimize a host of issues related to edema — a condition where the body starts to swell up because of an injury or inflammation. Not only that, it also helps enhance the overall functionality of our lungs, thereby promoting faster and healthier respiratory action.
- Improved Muscle and Tissue Performance. Regular intake of Pycnogenol can assist athletes and workout enthusiasts in reducing their recovery times after strenuous exercise sessions. Not only that, the compound also promotes tissue health and helps relieve muscle pain in a quick and hassle-free manner.
- Amazing Compatibility/Utility. According to the official company website, Pycnogenol can be used as a part of dietary supplements as well as in cosmetics and functional beverages. Not only that, but the compound can also be used as a stable free-flowing powder that can be used to create tablets, capsules, liquids, ointments, gels, lotions, and chewing gums. Lastly, the extract can also be used as a stand-alone medicinal agent if required.
- Improved Venous Health. Pycnogenol® has been shown (in both pre-clinical and clinical studies) to strengthen one’s capillary walls and prevent issues such as edema. Not only that, the extract also helps strengthen brittle capillaries so as to prevent the flow of excess blood into our tissues. If that wasn’t enough, studies also show that the compound can prevent micro bleeding as well as reduce problems such as platelet aggregation.
- Minimizes Tinnitus-related Problems. As most of our readers are probably well aware of, Tinnitus is a debilitating hearing condition that results in a patient suffering from a variety of ear-related issues such as misperception of sound, constant ear ringing, etc. These problems not only affect one’s health but also a person’s overall quality of life. In this regard, a number of studies claim that Pycnogenol® is an effective tool to help alleviate symptoms related to tinnitus as well as improve one’s inner ear blood flow.
What makes Pycnogenol so effective?
A number of factors make this particular product so effective at providing both mental and physical wellness benefits to its users. These factors include:
- Naturally Derived: Pycnogenol® has been obtained from the bark of a mono-species pine tree that has been found to grow only in SouthWest France (Les Landes de Gascogne forest to be exact). The forest, to date, is totally free of any human habitation and thus all of the vegetation growing there is totally free of harmful components such as pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, and other chemical agents.
- Minimal Seasonal Variation. Active agents contained in Pycnogenol® are not subject to seasonal variations and have been derived using a proprietary extraction technique (that has been independently verified by a third-party audit group). If that wasn’t enough, the compound is manufactured in a plant that is GMP(1) compliant.
- Quality Composition. As mentioned in an earlier section, Pycnogenol® comes replete with a number of healthy nutrients including procyanidins, bioflavonoids and organic acids, all of which are maintained in regulated compositional quantities within the extract.
- Scientifically Supported: The bark extract contained in Pycnogenol® has been studied quite closely and has been clinically tested for its efficacy. Not only that, the compound also contains a proprietary extract that has been protected by a number of international patents. Last but not least, the product is fully Kosher and Halal certified.
The idea behind Pycnogenol was first conceived back in the 1960s, when Horphag's chairman Charles Haimoff started looking into dietary supplements that could help people age in a more graceful manner. As part of his research, Haimoff was eventually able to obtain a water-soluble flavonoid from the bark of a French maritime pine tree. In this regard, over the course of the past half-century or so, Horphag Research Labs has conducted a number of clinical trials in order to improve the efficacy of Pycnogenol® as well as maintain its overall consumability.
According to the official company website, Horphag's vision is to help foster a spirit of unbiased scientific research so as to provide customers with the best possible medicinal supplements. To be a bit more specific, the core components contained in Pycnogenol have been studied closely by a number of scientists and there currently exist more than 450 scientific publications that can confirm the efficacy of these nutrients.
It also bears mentioning that most studies (nearly 98%) related to French maritime pine bark have been conducted using Pycnogenol® since Horphag owns the exclusive rights to market and sell the compound. Additionally, to promote innovation within this niche domain, Horphag is currently working with more than a hundred companies to help them develop innovative and effective Pycnogenol®-based formulas.
Last but not least, it is estimated that Horphag’s total sales to end consumers exceed USD 500 million — with Pycnogenol® itself being sold in nearly 85 countries worldwide.
To date, more than 400 research papers have been published in regard to the health benefits offered by Pycnogenol®. Similarly, scientists all over the world have conducted more than 160 trials to showcase the efficacy of this potent extract.
It is estimated that the extract has been successfully tested on more than ten thousand individuals suffering from various physical disorders. The bioflavonoids and organic acids contained in the mix have been shown to provide the human body with a number of different benefits.
The active agents in Pycnogenol® are known to help in the production of collagen and elastin — two compounds that are essential for maintaining the vitality and elasticity of our skin. Daily Use of Pycnogenol® has been shown to alleviate a lot of issues related to Type 2 diabetes as well as erectile dysfunction.
Owing to the extreme popularity of Pycnogenol®, supplements containing the compound are common. Additionally, the extract has been used by a number of leading pharma companies for creating unique health supplements that can either be bought over-the-counter or through the use of a doctor’s prescription.
Pycnogenol®-containing products can also be found across a wide array of popular supermarkets such as Wholefoods, Fairway, Walmart, iHerb, etc. Not only that, but items containing the extract are also available via a number of different online retail platforms such as Amazon and eBay.
Bulk purchase options are also available for interested customers. Bulk purchasing offers substantial discounts. Bulk discounts can be found by contacting manufacturers directly.