Bite Toothpaste Bits are a unique zero waste teeth cleaning product.
By using the toothpaste bits daily, you can clean your teeth in a sustainable way. Bite Toothpaste Bits are plastic-free, cruelty-free, and made with clean ingredients. They come in a refillable glass jar – not a wasteful plastic tube like most other toothpaste.
Do Bite Toothpaste Bits really clean your teeth? How do Bite Toothpaste Bits work? Find out everything you need to know about this unique product today in our review.
- 1 What Are Bite Toothpaste Bits?
- 2 How Do Bite Toothpaste Bits Work?
- 3 What is Nano-Hydroxyapatite?
- 4 Scientific Evidence for Bite Toothpaste Bits
- 5 Bite Toothpaste Bits Ingredients
- 6 Bite Toothpaste Bits Features & Benefits
- 7 Plastic Waste and Toothpaste
- 8 How Does Bite Mouthwash Work?
- 9 Bite Products & Pricing
- 10 About Bite
- 11 Final Word
What Are Bite Toothpaste Bits?
Bite Toothpaste Bits are natural teeth whitening bits that work similar to toothpaste – but without the plastic and waste of a traditional toothpaste tube.
You place the bits in your mouth, then brush your teeth with water. The water dissolves the bits, and you use the brush to brush toothpaste around your mouth. It’s like normal toothpaste but without the tube
The bits are available online through BiteToothpasteBits.com, where they’re priced at $30 per jar.
The website also sells zero waste Bite Mouthwash Bits, which work in a similar way. You get all of the benefits of toothpaste or mouthwash but without the waste.
Many people aim to limit their waste to live a more sustainable lifestyle. Some people live a genuine zero waste lifestyle. They use renewable packaging and reuse or recycle everything they buy. Others live a minimal waste lifestyle – they still create some waste, although they strive to minimize waste as much as possible.
Toothpaste has always been challenging for people with a zero-waste lifestyle. You can put certain foods in reusable bulk containers, but it’s hard to put toothpaste in a reusable bulk container.
People have created various solutions for zero waste toothpaste, but Bite Toothpaste Bits aims to be the best solution available today.
Whether you’re a zero-waste or low waste person, Bite Toothpaste Bits and Bite Mouthwash Bits aim to help you “kick the tube.”
How Do Bite Toothpaste Bits Work?
Bite Toothpaste Bits work in a straightforward way. You place one bit in your mouth, bite down, then brush with a wet toothbrush.
Brush your teeth as you normally would: twice a day, every day. Each Bite Toothpaste Bit contains enough toothpaste to whiten and clean your teeth daily.
Here’s the step by step process as explained on the official website:
- Step 1) Bite down on the bit.
- Step 2) Brush with a wet toothbrush.
- Step 3) Let the bits foam up and clean your mouth.
- Step 4) Repeat twice a day, every day.
Bite Toothpaste Bits come in a refillable glass jar. Each jar ($30 per jar) contains 248 bits or a roughly 4 month supply of toothpaste.
Once your jar is running out, Bite will send you a refill automatically. You return the empty glass jar, and Bite continues sending toothpaste bits to your address until you cancel.
Bite Toothpaste Bits work similar to ordinary toothpaste, but they contain an ingredient we don’t typically see in toothpaste: nano-hydroxyapatite (nHAp). We’ll explain more about that ingredient and how it works below.
What is Nano-Hydroxyapatite?
Bite Toothpaste Bits distinguish themselves from other kinds of toothpaste using an ingredient called nano-hydroxyapatite, or nHAp.
nHAp is a non-toxic fluoride alternative shown to remineralize enamel and reduce sensitivity.
According to the Bite Toothpaste Bits website, the nHAp in the toothpaste bits comes with the following features:
- Non-toxic alternative to fluoride
- Strengthen and remineralize enamel
- Help fight sensitivity
As we’ll explain below, nHAp is backed by genuine scientific evidence, with researchers praising nHAp for its safety, efficacy, and ability to positively impact tooth enamel, among other benefits.
Scientific Evidence for Bite Toothpaste Bits
To support these claims, Bite links to this 2014 study. In that study, researchers analyzed nano-hydroxyapatite and its effects on teeth.
Researchers found that nHAp supported dental health while providing several unique properties. Researchers found nHAp had preventive, restorative, and regenerative applications in the tooth, for example, with significant effects on tooth enamel.
Researchers also praised nHAp for being “superior to conventional fluoride” while being safe for sensitive teeth. And, nHAp (also known as nano-HA) has unique properties that enhance its effectiveness further, like the ability to chemically bond to bone, to not induce toxicity or inflammation, and to stimulate bone growth by directly acting on osteoblasts, among other effects.
nHAp is not some secret ingredient: the ingredient has been widely used in periodontology and oral and maxillofacial surgery for years. Bite Toothpaste Bits, however, use nHAp in a consumer-facing product – something we haven’t seen before.
Bite Toothpaste Bits Ingredients
In addition to nHAp, Bite Toothpaste Bits contains a range of other ingredients, including ingredients we see in other toothpaste (like natural mint flavor and sodium bicarbonate) and ingredients we don’t typically see (like guar gum, which helps hold the bits together).
The full list of ingredients in Bite Toothpaste Bits includes:
- Xylitol: Helps repel cavity-causing bacteria while having naturally sweet properties.
- Erythritol: Prevents cavity-causing bacteria from lodging themselves in your teeth.
- Calcium Carbonate: Acts as a mild abrasive to clean and polish your teeth.
- Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate: Helps the bits foam up, enhancing the cleaning effectiveness.
- Guar Gum: Made from legumes and helps hold the bits together.
- Sodium Bicarbonate: Balances pH levels in your mouth while enhancing the cleaning effectiveness of the bits.
- Natural Mint Flavor: Gives the bits an appetizing flavor while leaving your mouth clean and fresh.
- Nano-Hydroxyapatite (nHAp): Helps fight sensitivity while remineralizing your tooth enamel, among other benefits.
As the Bite Toothpaste Bits website explains, it’s equally as important to think of the ingredients that aren’t in the bits. The bits are free of chemicals, sulfates, parabens, and artificial flavors. By buying the bites, you avoid plastic tubes in landfills and cruel animal testing, among other harmful effects associated with ordinary tubes of toothpaste.
Bite Toothpaste Bits Features & Benefits
Bite emphasizes all of the following features and benefits:
- All-natural ingredients
- Naturally fresh flavors
- Refillable glass jars
- Vegan friendly
- The perfect amount of toothpaste in every bit
- Free of parabens, sulfates, artificial flavors, and harsh chemicals
Plastic Waste and Toothpaste
Bite makes a big deal out of limiting plastic waste associated with ordinary toothpaste. As mentioned above, zero waste toothpaste is a challenge: while you can get zero waste food in bulk, reusable containers, zero waste toothpaste is more challenging.
Bite Toothpaste Bits solve that problem using refillable glass containers and unique toothpaste bits.
You can learn more about the dangers of plastic tubes of toothpaste at Bite’s official sustainability page here. Key points on that sustainability page include:
- By 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish
- Over one billion plastic tubes of toothpaste are thrown away every year
- Glass is infinitely recyclable, unlike plastic, which is why Bite uses refillable glass containers
- Even if not recycled, glass breaks into the sand at the end of its life
- All Bite products use aluminum lids for added sustainability
Bite ships its products in kraft envelopes padded with post-consumer recycles newspapers – not the plastic poly-mailers used by most other companies
The sustainability page even has a counter that counts up as you read. That counter lists the number of toothpaste tubes thrown into the ocean while you scrolled the page.
How Does Bite Mouthwash Work?
In addition to Bite Toothpaste Bits, Bite also offers mouthwash bits.
Bite Mouthwash Bits are similar to the toothpaste: they use nHAp and mint flavor to give your mouth a clean and fresh feel.
Just place the bits in your mouth, take a sip of water, and swish the mouthwash around for 30 seconds, then spit it out.
The Bite Mouthwash Bits also provide benefits like:
- Icy cool, minty refresh at home or on-the-go
- Balance your mouth’s pH levels
- Restore enamel, whiten teeth, and decrease sensitivity
The Bite Mouthwash Bits come in a refillable container – like the toothpaste bits. Refills are sent automatically to your address as needed.
Bite Products & Pricing
Bite is best known for its Bite Toothpaste Bits and Bite Mouthwash Bits. However, the company offers a range of products, including toothpaste for kids, toothpaste with activated charcoal, dental floss, and a toothbrush.
You can pick and chose specific products. Or, you can subscribe to Bite and receive regular deliveries as needed.
Here’s how products and pricing break down:
- Bite Toothpaste Bits (Fresh Mint, Mint Charcoal, or Berry Twist): $30 for 248 bits (124 day supply)
- Bite Mouthwash Bits (Fresh Mint): $20 for 124 bits
- Bite Floss: $12
- Bite Bamboo Toothbrush: $12
- The Duo (2 x Small Bottles of Bite Toothpaste Bits): $20
- Small Bottles of Bite Toothpaste Bits (Fresh Mint, Mint Charcoal, or Berry Twist): $12 for 62 bits (31 day supply)
Bite is led by CEO and founder Lindsay McCormick. Lindsay was motivated to launch a zero-waste toothpaste after discovering how many plastic tubes of toothpaste ended up in landfills every year.
As explained in a November 2020 interview with Good Day Sacramento, Lindsay lives in Marina Del Ray, California.
Bite was co-founded by Asher Hunt, who is also the COO.
You can contact Bite by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bite Toothpaste Bits are an innovative, zero-waste toothpaste product available in a refillable glass jar. Unlike with ordinary toothpaste, bits dissolve in your mouth when they interact with water, letting you enjoy a clean and fresh mouth without the waste associated with plastic tubes of toothpaste.
Bite also offers bamboo toothbrushes, zero waste mouthwash, and other sustainable products. You can buy one-time products through the official website. Or, you can sign up for a subscription.
To learn more about Bite Toothpaste Bits and how they work, visit BiteToothpasteBits.com.